Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Book Review: Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith

Indiana, 1818. In a one-room cabin, nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his mother's bedside.

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, young Lincoln sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for almost two-hundred years - until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln. Now, using the journal as a guide, Seth reconstructs the true life story of America's greatest president. For the first time ever, he reveals the hidden history behind the Civil War - and uncovers the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.


3/5 stars (liked it)
I was very intrigued by the name of the book and the back cover (showing Abe holding a severed vampire head).  I'm a big vampire book person and so another intriguing factor.  What I liked about this book is that I actually learned some things about Abe that I did not know before.  Aside from the fictional part involving Vampires, this is a story about our 16th president.  I love how the author incorporated story telling with little excerpts from the lost journals of Abraham Lincoln.  I also liked the vampire character Henry that shows up periodically throughout the book.  Although I knew that Abe was assassinated I was a little surprised at the manner in which the events take place.  Also the very last chapter was surprising and I do not want to give anything away.  Overall it was an interesting book, easy to read and even had some pictures that were interesting in it.

No comments:

Book Review: Overbite - Meg Cabot

Overbite - Meg Cabot Meena Harper has a special gift, but i's only now that anyone's ever appreciated it.  The Palatine Guard--...