Friday, September 21, 2012

Book Review: The Foremost Good Fortune - Susan Conley

The Foremost Good Fortune
 In 2007, American writer Susan Conley moves to Beijing with her husband and two young sons. Six months later, she is diagnosed with breast cancer. Set against the fascinating backdrop of modern China and full of insight into the trickiest questions of motherhood, this wry and poignant memoir is a celebration of family and a candid exploration of mortality and belonging.

3/5 stars (liked it)
I don't usually read memoirs unless they really catch my attention.  I received this book from a Goodread giveaway months ago and I've had so many books I've been reading but I finally got around to reading this.  The first half of the book deals with Susan and her family adjusting to live in China.  Kids can adapt so easily but Susan has a harder time with the language and the culture.  I liked how I was able to see China through her eyes and actually feel like I was there.  The other half of the book deals with Susan finding out about breast cancer.  It shows how she deals with it and how her family deals with it.  The book was well written and I actually felt like I was part of it.  It amazes me how someone can just pack up and move someplace totally new and step outside their comfort zone.   

No comments:

Book Review: Overbite - Meg Cabot

Overbite - Meg Cabot Meena Harper has a special gift, but i's only now that anyone's ever appreciated it.  The Palatine Guard--...