Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Book Club - August

The Canterbury Papers
The only thing I felt was a strong hand around my neck, another around my waist, and -- before I could cry out -- I smelled the thick, sweet scent of a mandrake-soaked cloth. Unforgiving hands clapped it against my face, and all went dark.
Alais, the king of France's sister, is abducted while on her mission for the wily Eleanor of Aquitaine, the former Queen of England, to retrieve hidden letters that, in the wrong hands, could bring down the English king. In exchange, the French princess was to receive long-heldand dangerous information. Now Alais, along with help from the very intriguing leader of the Knights Templar, must unravel a tangled web of family secrets and lies.
 I am not a big Historical Fiction fan but I really enjoyed this book.  Alais was a good character to get to know and I liked her from the beginning.  Other characters introduced are also interesting and made me want to know more about them.  There were some parts that I guessed right away and some that I was a little surprised about.  I will most likely read the follow up book to this as well.

The book for September is The Painted Drum - Louise Erdrich



No comments:

Book Review: Overbite - Meg Cabot

Overbite - Meg Cabot Meena Harper has a special gift, but i's only now that anyone's ever appreciated it.  The Palatine Guard--...