Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Book Review: Conversations With the Fat Girl - Liz Palmer



 Everyone seems to be getting on with their lives except Maggie. At 26, she's still serving coffee at The Beanery Coffee House, while her friends are getting married, having babies, and having real careers. Even Olivia, Maggie's best friend from childhood, is getting married to the doctor with whom she lives. Maggie's roommate? Her dog Solo (his name says it all). The man in Maggie's life? Well there isn't one, except the guy she has a crush on, Domenic, who works with her at the coffee shop as a bus boy.

3/5 stars (like it)
This isn't a book I would normally read but it looked interesting.  I ended up liking it though.  The main character Maggie is a little whinny but she redeems herself toward the end.  We never really find out how overweight she really is but I think it's a lot to do with self-image.  Sometimes we view ourselves as being fat but other people might see as a average or even skinny.  I love how this book read honestly about how she feels about herself and how many women view themselves.  I myself am not overweight but I still felt like I could relate to her.  I also like the other characters in this book.  Especially the characters at the coffee shop she works at, her family and even her dog.  I found the ending good and even laughed a little and was rooting for her at the end. 

No comments:

Book Review: Overbite - Meg Cabot

Overbite - Meg Cabot Meena Harper has a special gift, but i's only now that anyone's ever appreciated it.  The Palatine Guard--...