Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I found a recipe

I was surfing through some message boards and came across a thread that talked about making your own coffee at home and making it taste like Starbucks/Caribou. Well I love to get coffee at those places but who can afford $5 a day on that kind of thing. So usually I buy some flavored creamer at the grocery store and use my cappucino maker to just make some strong coffee. Well I haven't drank any caffeine in about two years so I made decaf. I'm not drinking the coffee to wake me up but more as a treat. I bought some cinnamon vanilla creamer last time I went to the grocery store and got non fat which is actually pretty tasty just not as thick as the regular stuff. Anyhow I found a recipe on how to make your own vanilla syrup and Starbuck Mocha Frappuccino. I haven't tried either recipe but they do sound very tasty. Here are the recipes. If anyone tries them let me know how they turn out. I might try them this weekend when I have more time.

Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino

3 cups double-strength freshly brewed dark roast coffee
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus additional cocoa powder for garnish
1 cup nonfat milk

Fill ice-cube trays with half of the brewed coffee and place in the freezer. In a bowl, combine the remaining brewed coffee, cocoa powder and milk and stir to dissolve the cocoa. Cover and chill.When the ice cubes have frozen, transfer them to a kitchen towel and, using a hammer or mallet, crush the cubes. Fill 2 glasses with the crushed ice and divide the coffee-cocoa mixture evenly among them. Dust the top with cocoa powder and serve.
Serves 2.

Vanilla Syrup

2 cups water
1.5 cups sugar
¾ tsp vanilla

Combine 2 cups water and 1.5 cups sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes and then add ¾ tsp vanilla. Remove from heat and cool and store in covered container.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really are keeping this up-to-date. Good for you! Of course, I know all of this stuff way in advance of you putting it on your blog, but I'm glad others get to find out the great things you and your family do together! Cindy

Book Review: Overbite - Meg Cabot

Overbite - Meg Cabot Meena Harper has a special gift, but i's only now that anyone's ever appreciated it.  The Palatine Guard--...