Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Book Club: One Day – David Nicholls

One Day
It’s 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met.  But after one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another.  Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day –July 15th—of each year.  Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears.  And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself.

I did not care too much for this book.  I read the first chapter and really found myself not liking Emma or Dexter.  The chapters really did not give me much insight to the characters and I was never rooting for them to have a happy ending.  By the end of the book I was glad that the book was over.  I think this book would have worked better if the author hadn’t focused so much on seeing where they were on July 15th every year for 20 years.  I feel like the characters were not developed enough for me to really know them.  Also the ending was very surprising but did not inspire much emotion for me.


No comments:

Book Review: Overbite - Meg Cabot

Overbite - Meg Cabot Meena Harper has a special gift, but i's only now that anyone's ever appreciated it.  The Palatine Guard--...