Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Book Review: The Casual Vacancy - J.K. Rowling

The Casual Vacancy
When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils ... Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

3/5 stars (liked it)
I read the first page and very much recognized J.K. Rowling's writing in it.  I thought the beginning of the story was slow and there were so many characters that I had trouble keeping track of them.  By the middle of the book I did not have as much trouble.  This book has taught me that I should always treat my children right.  I liked how this story was not just about the adults and the open parish council seat.  In the end it didn't really matter who won the seat but rather how all the stories and the characters lives changed because of one man dying.  Overall I liked it and look forward to more books from J.K.

No comments:

Book Review: Overbite - Meg Cabot

Overbite - Meg Cabot Meena Harper has a special gift, but i's only now that anyone's ever appreciated it.  The Palatine Guard--...